Event Date & Time
In this sixth installment of the American Water Resources Association Climate Change Conference Series will provide a unique opportunity for water resources professionals working in research, management, policy and education to gather, discuss and collaborate as they shape the future of sustainable water management.
The theme of this year's meeting is “Climate Change Solutions: Collaborative Science, Policy and Planning for Sustainable Water Management.” Responding to climate change is complicated by the scale, complexity and inherent uncertainty of the problem. Climate change adaptation must use the best available science while managing uncertainty. Challenges remain in developing the scientific information necessary to support water resources adaptation planning. Managers and policy makers also often struggle with translating information produced by the scientific community for use in decision-making. We particularly welcome proposals related to collaborative solutions involving scientists, managers and other stakeholders. Such collaborations are essential to ensure management and policy decisions are informed by the best available science, and that the scientific community in turn has a strong awareness of managers' and policy makers' highest priority needs.
- Foster collaborative solutions among water, climate and social scientists, water managers, policy makers and other stakeholders to resolve adaption challenges.
- Advance the scientific and technical foundation for understanding and responding to climate change impacts on water quantity, quality and aquatic ecosystems
- Advance the theory and practice of climate change and water resources impacts, vulnerability and adaptation assessments
- Build the capacity for informing adaptation and mitigation decisions in the face of scientific uncertainty; understand how evolving climate science can be used in decision-making
- Identify successful instances of collaboration and areas for improved collaboration
Topics will be presented that will be of interest to the general community of professionals and students working in the area of climate change and water resources impacts, vulnerability and adaptation. There are three main areas of interest in the focus of this conference: 1. Advancing the scientific and technical foundation for responding to climate change; 2. Informing adaptation and mitigation decisions in the face of scientific uncertainty; and 3. Collaborative science, policy and planning for sustainable water management. You can participate by submitting an abstract, convening a special session/panel or networking as an attendee.