Event Date & Time
Please join the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), the National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS), and the California Nevada Climate Applications Program (CNAP)for a one-day interactive workshop for current and potential users of the NCEI drought amelioration tool.
Information sharing dialogs are planned between climate experts and community members, including political leaders, TV media, and science writers with the following objectives:
- Identify current usage of the recently updated and modified National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) drought amelioration tool including users, application, and decisions supported.
- Provide an update on the NIDIS and NCEI project to improve drought amelioration tool.
- Facilitate open discussion on improvements to NCEI’s drought amelioration web page.
- Discuss the impact of extreme rain falling during a long-term drought and evaluate whether existing tools/products sufficiently capture its effect on drought amelioration.
Additional contributors include the Western Regional Climate Center (WRCC) and California State Climatologist Michael Anderson.
- Combining local knowledge with specialist technical input to generate accurate, timely, and regionally relevant content willfacilitate the use of drought amelioration tools.
- The user community will be better informed about drought amelioration tools, and, as a result, able to make better decisions as they set priorities and allocate resources for future droughts.
- The provider community will be better informed about what problems and questions are most relevant with respect to drought amelioration, and, as a result, are better able to match products and services to user requirements.