Causes and Impacts of the 2017-2019 Southeast Alaska Drought
The infrequency of drought in southeast Alaska hinders a comprehensive understanding of such events in the region. Motivated by the 2017-2019 event, this research will improve our predictive understanding of drought in a changing climate by considering the following questions:
- How did the event evolve and what were its key characteristics?
- To place the event in historical context, how did its key characteristics and drivers compare with prior events?
- How did climate change alter the intensity and duration of the 2017-19 drought?
- How is climate change projected to alter the intensity, frequency, and duration of droughts like 2017-19?
- How did the drought impact society and the environment?