Keep watch on winter precipitation and lingering dryness.
For more details, see the Northeast Drought Early Warning System Dashboard.
- Moderate Drought (D1) expanded somewhat in northeastern Vermont and persisted in portions of northern New York.
- Abnormally Dry (D0) conditions held for small portions of coastal and northwestern Maine, portions of Vermont, New Hampshire, and New York.
- Moderate Drought (D1) has not persisted through the month of January since 2017.
- States are closely monitoring winter season precipitation and groundwater.
2020 Drought in Review
The U.S. Geological Survey's New England Water Science Center released a report on the 2020 drought.
- Northeast DEWS Dashboard
- NOAA Regional Climate Services
- Your local National Weather Service office
- NOAA Regional Climate Services Monthly Webinar Series (February 25 next webinar)
- USDA Northeast Climate Hub
- USGS/New England and New York Water Science Centers
Contacts for More Information
Regional Drought Information Coordinator (Northeast DEWS)
NOAA/CIRES/National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS)
Ellen L. Mecray
Regional Climate Services Director, Eastern Region
NOAA/NESDIS/National Centers for Environmental Information