Nevada’s variable climate makes drought preparedness not only important but challenging. To effectively address some of the challenges faced in the drought planning process, the Nevada Division of Water Resources is collaborating with the Desert Research Institute (DRI), the Nevada State Climate Office, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) through the National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS) program to facilitate three virtual workshops aimed at improving drought planning, mitigation, and communication in Nevada. The workshops will encourage collaboration between stakeholder agencies at the federal, state, and community level to leverage resources and improve planning, mitigation, and outreach. Strengthening interagency collaboration will improve coordination of actions as well as minimize duplicate efforts, ultimately enhancing efficiencies and resources that benefit a diversity of water users across the state. By identifying needs for drought preparedness, stakeholder agencies can work together in determining the next steps needed to continue moving Nevada towards drought resiliency.
The three virtual workshops are:
This second workshop in the series highlighted resources available for drought outreach, impact reporting, and monitoring, as well as agricultural sector drought outreach and engagement efforts.
This webinar series is open to state, local, tribal, and federal stakeholders involved in drought planning, mitigation, and communication.
For additional information, please contact Nicole Goehring, Nevada Division of Water Resources at email@example.com.
- 8:45 a.m.: Login
- 9:00 a.m.: Opening Remarks/Introductions of Speakers - Bunny Bishop, Nevada Division of Water Resources
- 9:10 a.m.: Living with Drought Overview - Kerri Jean Ormerod, Associate Professor Geography/Extension, University of Nevada, Reno
- 9:30 a.m.: Condition Monitoring Observer Reports (CMOR) Walk-Through - Kelly Smith, National Drought Mitigation Center
- 9:50 a.m.: Break
- 10:00 a.m.: U.S. Drought Monitor Overview - David Simeral, Associate Research Scientist, Climatology, Desert Research Institute
- 10:20 a.m.: Nevada Department of Agriculture: Outreach and Engagement - Chris Moreno, Drought Program, Nevada Department of Agriculture
- 10:40 a.m.: Final Questions/Open Discussion
- 10:55 a.m.: Closing Remarks