Rainfall from Fred and Henri missed most of Cape Cod and northern and western Maine, while providing ample tropical rainfall for much of New York and New England.
For more details, see the Northeast Drought Early Warning System Dashboard.
- Severe drought (D2) persisted in western Maine and a small portion of neighboring northeast New Hampshire.
- Severe drought (D2) was introduced to southeast Cape Cod.
- Moderate drought (D1) and Abnormally Dry conditions (D0) persisted around these pockets of D2 and extended into northern Vermont and New Hampshire, and northeastern New York.
7-Day Average Streamflows
Streamflows are high or much above average across much of New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island and southern parts of New Hampshire and Vermont. Parts of northern New Hampshire and Vermont, and parts of Maine, are seeing below-normal or much-below-normal streamflows.
7-Day Percent Precipitation
This 7-day percent precipitation map highlights how Cape Cod has missed out on tropical moisture.
Annual Precipitation Departure from Normal
- Governor Mills Encourages Maine Businesses to Apply for Newly-Available Federal Drought Disaster Relief Loans.
- To date, 17 dry wells have been reported in Maine.
- Press Herald of Maine: Stressed by summer visitors, Stonington forced to buy water for its municipal supply
- The 8–14 day outlook indicates below-normal temperatures and above-normal precipitation for the region, except for northeastern Maine, where normal precipitation is favored.
- The 3–4 week outlook favors above-normal temperatures across almost all of the Northeast and equal precipitation chances for the region.
Temperature Outlook 8–14 Day
Precipitation Outlook 8–14 Day
Temperature Outlook Week 3–4
Precipitation Outlook Week 3–4
- Northeast DEWS Dashboard
- NOAA Regional Climate Services
- Your local National Weather Service office
- NOAA Regional Climate Services Monthly Webinar Series (next webinar is on August 31)
- USDA Northeast Climate Hub
- USGS New England and New York Water Science Centers
Contacts for More Information
Regional Drought Information Coordinator (Northeast DEWS)
NOAA/CIRES/National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS)
Ellen L. Mecray
Regional Climate Services Director, Eastern Region
NOAA/NESDIS/National Centers for Environmental Information
NOAA/National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS)
Samantha Borisoff, Jessica Spaccio, Keith Eggleston, Art DeGaetano
Northeast Regional Climate Center
Regional Climate Services Director, Eastern Region, NOAA
David Hollinger and Maria Janowiak
USDA Climate Hubs
USGS/New England Water Science Center
In partnership with National Weather Service Offices of the Northeast and State Climate Offices of the Northeast.